Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

diary entry for trip to china summer of 2013 (bulk of summer experience)

Tues, 1:22 pm

I’m like 感冒    (gan mao sick). My coughs sound like a 78 years old person wheezing lol(No offense to grandparents, you guys rule!).

This was when I headed down to my dad’s hometown after being in canton for like less than three days. My cold got so obvious(not bronchitis or anything) and my yi ma-dad’s oldest sister(my grandparents adopted her)  was like to my mother “Do you want to take her to a local hospital in China? Mind you there is a language barrier because although I can speak mandarin to speak to relatives in Canton, Guangzhou but I cannot speak the chinese dialect in my dad’s hometown and currently the place where my dad’s relatives reside in (ke jia hua dialect).

My cold got worse as I showered in cold water (hehe lol  opps yeah during summer time) 2 days straight-I did not know how to function the shower head and activation of certain controls and therefore could not get hot water. I learned to get hot water on the third day of that city, (you need to wait 5-13 mins till it heats up) and by that time it was pointless seeing that I caught a cold already, and the initiation of the sick had marked its territory already. I was sick.  It eventually went away after a little over two weeks, no worries ;)


Taking the trip down the memory lane, I befriended what I considered distant cousins. The bulk of my cousins are in Guangzhou (Canton), but eight years ago the bulk of them were stationed in. These cousins came from my dad’s side. Since me and my sister’s chinese was terrible starting 2004; these cousins would only speak to my parent’s, particularly my dad in “ke jia hua” dialect. So we just let our cousins click with every other family member except for us.  This year when going back I decided to reach out to the cousins, referring explicitly to the two that are my dad’s youngest brother’s children out of my 7+cousins.  It was really frightening and really uncomfortable at first, especially because we (my sis and I) gave them the silent treatment again in 2008. But as I approached to them and was very warm to them, it soften their hearts and allowed them to open to us. It was super cool-as I became a Jerry Seinfeld to them. Cracking jokes and laughing at my own pathetic jokes as well. Little did I know that my dreading (there was an awkward moment during the greeting phase to my  dad’s relatives)to visit my dad’s hometown would be the best thing that has ever happened to me. Photos displayed of pics with my cuz(s).  
the pleasant photo of me w/ cousins, right before the crazy picture!

this cousin in the left has this freakin awesome sense of humor, and he's musically gifted too :)

Uncles and Aunts
this is the living room where a bunch of uncles came to visit; they are humbled and grateful that my dad can still provide financially to family and after emigrating with  my mother to the United
States

No comments:

Post a Comment